Saturday, February 21, 2009

Still thinking about spring...

Well, despite another dusting of snow, it seems like the days are getting longer and I have been thinking about building a cold frame so I can go ahead and plant lettuce and spinach next month, instead of waiting til mid-April. I haven't made one before but it looks pretty easy, here's what the finished frame would look like (hopefully!):




It probably won't look as pretty as this one! Instead of window panes, I might use plastic, or find some old panes from a salvage place/flea market. I've found some links about building plans on Mother Earth News. It's my favorite website! So many interesting and practical tips.
Next I am looking forward to choosing what tomato varieties we are going to have this year, any recommendations? I'm going to be using some giant pots I salvaged from our neighbors shed- they are about the size of 10-gallon buckets, maybe a little larger.
Another score from the shed was a bike! Its not in great shape, but I'm hoping to take it to the local bikeshop and see what it would take to get it going.
It's a boy's bike, but does that really matter? Haven't really ridden a bike in years, other than a couple times just cruising around, not dealing with traffic.

No comments: