Thursday, April 15, 2010

Haiku for a Wyoming Summer

My fingers are ice.
Stoic wind-ravaged plains,
snow rests in shade.


Only one week away from assisting Craig photograph a wedding in Mexico, so I thought I'd better get prepared. Item 1 on my list: buying a new bathing suit (forget learning the minutiae of lighting and radio-triggered flash, I have priorities). This will be my first new bathing suit since going to visit Josh at his sister's place in Destin, FL. That's been....4 years ago?

The sagging elastic on my suit last year let me know it was screaming to be retired (aren't we all?), but I didn't do very much swimming so it wasn't a priority. This year I'm hoping to get a little more time in environments with water, with the trip to Mexico hopefully just being the first such example.

Turns out I'll be working until the day before the flight, so I need to buy the suit here in northern Wyoming. Luckily for me, we are working based out of Sheridan (population 16,000) a good-sized town by Wyoming standards with a thriving old downtown area that still has an old-fashioned JC Penney's in a two-story building on Main Street. I browsed the shelves, but no sign of bathing suits. Finally I asked - they don't carry bathing suits, you have to special order them! Went to 2 other stores in town and no suits were had. Can you believe that I am living in a place that has such a short/cold summer that bathing suits aren't carried in major department stores?!

Sigh...hope the elastic on ol' faithful holds up for one last trip. Now please excuse me while I go put my summer parka on....

3 comments:

Kathy said...

That is pretty sad that they don't sell swimsuits. Apparently no one goes anywhere for spring break either?

CRO said...

Technically we're still in spring...not to worry just yet. You will be cursing the Wyoming sun soon enough.

Unknown said...

The struggle is real!