Saturday, February 2, 2008

It's A Long Hard Road (only 1 Cracker Barrel in 60 miles)

After saying farewell to friends and family, Craig, my Dad and I headed out. The trip wasn't too bad (especially for me as both the men felt that they wanted to demonstrate their long-distance driving skills and I acted just as a relief driver). We had a bit of snow on the way, but nothing the ol' Corolla couldn't handle. My favorite sight along the way was seeing a sign in western Kansas for a restaurant called Carlos O'Kelly's. Where else but the USA would you find such a name?! It was pretty awesome, but unfortunately wasn't able to document that one on film. Also had the pleasure of spending the night at Aunt Daisy and Uncle George's house in Kansas, which was wonderful. I think they are the best hosts a person could wish for! We found two fancy ice scrapers waiting for us in our room to take along (apparently credit cards or drivers licenses just won't cut it in the icy wasteland we are entering) and there was a supply of Aunt Daisy's famous oatmeal-raisin cookies to take along for sustenance on the trail ahead. Craig and I said a sad goodbye to Dad there and headed out the next morning (windows already scraped and windex-ed for us by a thoughtful Uncle George). We arrived in Fort Collins after another grueling drive (originally quoted by the liars at Mapquest as 8 hours, but for us it took about 11), found our new apartment and pretty much crashed. Today we purchased our only piece of furniture in the apartment - a beautiful 3-legged oak-veneer table, just large enough to hold an over-sized candle. I swear I can't understand why Craig doesn't love it.

Amy and I displaying our relief after successfully fending off the Nashville recording star (just before we take off for CO).


The only survivors in our game of Oregon Trail. We lost you, Jeb, and little Anni early on...*
(*note: read shirt)

I don't know what those early pioneers were complaining about. We found tons of places to resupply.

St. Louis Arch at night

Blizzard!!!

8 comments:

Ross said...

This is Ross Anika, please note that I'm leaving a comment so you don't have to ruin my life using dirty internet tricks. OK so now thats been established, this one is way better than CRO's and you can tell him I said so. It sounds like you had quite a strenuous journey to the untamed West. I did want to tell you that I don't think Cracker Barrel actually existed during the days of the pioneers. I think most of those exits actually had very few services. Congrats on the job! Ohhh and I almost forgot, incredible shoutout to the world of leftover bags. It makes me sick everytime I see one.

arielsong88 said...

I'm glad you guys made it safely!

Gee, what an excellent shirt you have there! Jeb would've been proud . . .

mikeg said...

......the oregon trail should be the next game turned into a movie. you should work on that while you sit for hours in the back seat (do whatever you can to give scarlett johansson a ton of screen time).

Kelly Wong said...

ACM,

What's the R stand for in CRO? I don't know why I always like to know people's middle names. I'm just crazy like that. I'm so glad you made it safe and didn't die of dysentery. Did you know George Washington had that?

I love cracker barrel! :o)

Love and miss you! send me your address when you get a chance! xoxo kell

arielsong88 said...

Also, GO RON PAUL!!!!

Just had to get that out of my system. ;)

anika said...

Kelly,
I'm going to tell you this at the risk of my life and I warn you never-ever to call Craig by his middle name.

Raymond

anika said...

Mike!!!
I completely agree about Oregon Trail and it's movie potential. It could be the next "Street Fighter: The Movie", which as I recall did quite well in the box office.

Julie said...

Hey Neek!
Its you sis in tha ATL. Just wanted to let you know that I'm glad yo guys made it to CO okay. How's the apartment? Hope all is well. Send me your address. Dad is doign fine - I keep asking him to come eat dinner with us but he always says no. I guess he is worried about the disentery. Ha Ha. Anyway everything is going well- the kids are off the hook/chain as usual. Call me when you have a chance.
Love Ya
Jewels