Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My one political rant (conservative friends, be forewarned)

Well, I guess the people have spoken and the Republican peoples want to institute a new military draft.
That's the only conclusion I can draw from the results yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I do like John McCain but he scares me a little with his talk of spending 100 years in Iraq. I guess that's better than Mitt "made of plastic and oozing fake fakiness" Romney and Mister Mike "I don't believe in evolution" Huckleberry (although to be fair, I do like that he supports the fair tax). I'm just a little bitter that Ron Paul didn't do better. Aren't people listening to his message? I've never voted anything but democrat and he convinced me...
And why am I so worried? Because I really would love either Barack or Hillary to be president, but I fear the strange power of the Republicans to motivate their people to vote through fear-mongering ("aahh, the illegal aliens are coming, now can't they get my Wal-Mart built/slaughter my 4.99 per lb. corn-fed beef/do my yardwork any faster?" or if you prefer, "aaah, gay marriage is coming, my children will be ruined by their desire to profess a life-long commitment to one another!") . I know some of you readers may feel differently, but I honestly don't think either of these are the major issue they are made out to be. Seems to me that our economy, the political system bowing to the desires of the lobbyists, intentionally ignoring the state of the environment, not appropriately funding innovations in alternative energy sources, poor national education, and cost of the war in Iraq - in both lives and money, are all issues enough.
But I guess that's why they call me a liberal....

2 comments:

arielsong88 said...

I, too, was disheartened yesterday.

But!

Today is a new day! Romney has dropped out! Ron Paul has tons of cash reserves, while Huckabee's bank account is running on fumes. Soon it will be down to 2, and Ron Paul vs. McWarMonger - well, McWarMonger will be trounced in a one-on-one debate.

Not to mention all the delegates that are uncommitted now b/c their candidate dropped out.

Brokered convention, baby! Wait for it!

anika said...

Deanne, your undashed hopes buoy my spirit - we will fight on! Ron Paul to the White House!